Break Through Your Creative Restrictions | Poem


I wrote this piece (I'm not sure if it counts as a poem quite yet), in response to Elin Loow's post called, Reclaim Your Creative Freedom. Her writing really inspires me and every post she produces gives me food for thought and after reading the post about reclaiming our creative freedom I simply couldn't help but write my thoughts down.


I find the idea of labels and being ourselves without restraint a really interesting one, especially to do with creativity. I have struggled with expressing creativity a lot in my life and I feel like expressing myself in any form that brings me inspiration and simply feels right, is the way to go.

I like writing posts and poems, drawing and doodling, designing pictures and posters, and taking photographs. So I simply have to ask myself, why should I not do them all?

Break Through Your Creative Restrictions


Who says we can't break the rules of our own creativity
Why should we stick to one method, one label, one technique
Can I not be a painter who draws
Or a builder who designs
Or even a reader who writes

I don't want to be just one
I want to be them all
I want the freedom to choose for myself
To be able to say I am me
I can change day by day
Being a new me as I please
I have no boundaries
I can be myself and that is all

To be a label is unnecessary
We define what is indefinable
We reach for the sky instead of the whole universe
Why are we limiting ourselves
We have no need
Just to give a name to simply an action or product
A creation which is observable as what it is

It is such a ridiculous notion
But as ordinary as a tree or a blade of grass
Yet even these are not limited
The grass can grow wherever it pleases
It can be whatever it desires
The tree can climb as tall as it wants
It can grow leaves or flowers
Bringing fruit in the spring

No one decides what is best for the trees and the grass
They decide for themselves

So why are we deciding for each other
Why are we limiting ourselves,
Our peers, 
Our elders, 
Our colleagues, 
Our students, 
Our teachers, 
Our friends
We should all be allowed to flourish, grow and prosper
Without boundaries or limits or rules
We should encourage and inspire

So everyone can choose or not
Can label and build a box or not
If I hated to eat banana why would I allow someone to make me eat banana
I wouldn't
So why are we allowing each other to force a passion and a label on to each other
We shouldn't be

Just because we all choose to spend some of our time as one thing
Or doing one activity
Does not mean we can't develop or change or grow into another
We have no set job or meaning in life

So why aren't we letting ourselves go
Being ourselves
Being our true selves

Accepting ourselves and each other
For whatever each and every one of us decides is who we are
As an individual
Not as a label

12:24 08.08.16


Do you think we should ditch the labels too?

Popular Posts